Here at Koala Colony, we put an emphasis on the quality of our ingredients - choosing organic whenever possible. But why should this matter to you?
What is organic farming?
When you see the word organic printed on your fruits and vegetables at the market, it means that those products have been grown without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or artificial agents. Simple enough.
When we talk about organic farming as a whole, it includes farming (of any product) that does not use toxic pesticides or fertilizer, sewage sludge, irradiation or genetic engineering.
In the case of Koala Colony’s hemp, our farmers at Green Earth Hemp Company use only cow manure once a year as predatory insects like ladybugs, Green Lacewings, and Praying Mantises for pest control. Organic farming strives for balance with nature, using methods and materials that have the lowest impact on the environment.
So you can feel stoked knowing that your Koala Colony hemp is coming from a good place.
Benefits of organic farming
Organic farming practices:
- Keep millions of pounds of chemicals out of the environment
- Create healthier working conditions for farmers and agricultural workers
- Do not depend on chemical pesticides
- Slow down climate change! Organic farming pulls CO2 out of the atmosphere at as much as three times the rate of conventional farming and releases less CO2 into the atmosphere because it does not rely on chemical fertilizers (Rodale Institute, 2008)
- Promotes bio-diversity. Insect and bird life has been found to be as much as 50% greater on organic farms than conventional farms (UK Soil Association, 2000)
By supporting organic farms, you are demonstrating your commitment to social and environmental sustainability. Go you!
What else can be sustainably made?
Sustainable farming practices transcend more than just your CBD products and produce. For example, clothes. By buying clothes that are sustainably sourced and manufactured you can be sure that you are keeping your impact on the environment to a minimum in all aspects of your life!
Look for the GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) Certification on your clothes as an easy way to know your clothing is meeting global social, environmental, and technical standards. By buying clothing made from organic cotton and that is GOTS certified, you can be sure that from inception to purchase, the environmental impact is kept as low as possible.
Whether you buy organic strawberries, CBD, or t-shirts, you have officially joined the ethical movement to a more sustainable future. Heck ya!